The principles of Talk About Alcohol
In developing the content of the Talk About Alcohol website, the following general principles have been adopted.
- The content should provide information and activities to allow young people to understand the effects of alcohol, especially on the immature body.
- The content should reiterate the legal restrictions on drinking alcohol, especially as they relate to young people and risk groups.
- Choosing not to drink should be positioned as a genuine choice in relation to alcohol and should not be presented in a negative light.
- Young people should not feel they have to drink alcohol in order to enjoy themselves or be accepted by their peers.
- Scenarios should not assume that young people choose to drink alcohol.
- The content should not portray drinking alcohol as a means of increasing confidence, sexual attractiveness or social acceptance.
- The content may offer advice for sensible drinking provided this relates to those of legal drinking age.